King Henry, Swan and Phoenix Wharves
Location Wapping, London
Content 27 Apartments (King Henry) | 1 House (Swan) | 8 Apartments (Phoenix) | 17 Affordable Apartments (Site C)
Status Planning Granted
For more information on this project please contact Luigi Beltrandi.
This project brought to the practice two Grade II listed riverside warehouses wharves dating from 1840 to 1870, alongside Swan Wharf - the last remaining vacant riverside site - and a separate un-rebuilt bomb-site landside of Wapping High Street, on the corner of Brewhouse Lane.
Designed for a change to residential use, the challenging characteristics of deep plan, low ceilings, raw un-clothed interiors and ‘heritage’ – an environment to house goods rather than people – were overcome and listed building consent obtained for both historic buildings.
Nineteenth century prints showed an ironmongery workshop with living above on the un-built riverside ‘Swan Wharf’ site, and a modern interpretation was designed as a single, rather romantic, house with timber-board cladding. The inland blank canvas became a five-storey apartment building containing affordable flats.